Chia seeds could be added to different recipes and could be sprinkled directly over finished dishes, but the interesting thing about them is that they could also substitute some ingredients out there for a lot of different gained benefits. Flour is the number one ingredient that chia seeds could substitute or even could be added to, and eggs come second in the list since they could be also removed from some recipes and exchanged with chia seeds. Chia seed is considered the ingredient that goes well with all the different recipes out there; the sweet and the sour, making the idea of using it for gaining its benefits one of the easiest things that could be done and achieved.
How to Make Chia Flour?
Transforming chia seeds into flour is an easy step that will take no time and no effort from the person, and that is one of the different advantages that could be mentioned about chia seeds in addition to the benefits that people keep talking about. Nuts and seeds in general are important for the health of the body and some of them could be transformed into a powder like substance that is referred to as flour. In order to create the flour that you want to use, you will need nothing more than just your coffee grinder.
When it comes to transforming chia seeds into flour, it is important to have the coffee grinder that will help you in grinding those seeds in order to come out with the powdered chia that is going to form your flour. In addition to chia seeds, there are other ingredients that could be turned into flour as well, such as flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, cashews, pecans, hazelnuts, almonds, buckwheat and quinoa, as well as some other spices like cinnamon.
All these different ingredients will turn into a good powdered flour to use in your different baking and cooking recipes, whether they will totally substitute the original flour that you use or just will be a simple addition to them.
In order to make and create your chia flour, you have to:
- Fill your coffee grinder with ½ or ¾ full (to the maximum that it holds) with chia seeds.
- Grind your seeds until you come to that fluffy and nice flour.
- Sometimes in the middle of your grinding process, you might realize that the coffee grinder is slowing down, when you witness such a thing, make sure that there are no seeds stuck on the blade.
- Repeat the process until you get the amount that your recipe needs.
- Sifting the flour that you have created is an optional step, but it is considered better if you did it with a gently used turn-over sifter in order to work with the larger bits of hard nuts such as almonds.
- If you created more than the amount you will be using, store the rest in a tight closed container in the refrigerator.
Creating your chia flour might be considered the easiest task waiting for you out there in the kitchen; because you will do nothing more than pour the seeds into the grinder and leave the rest for it.
Chia Flour Recipes
Flour means baking, and baking means that there are some sweet goodies coming out from the oven to attract all those who have strong smelling senses, and that is why a lot of people cannot get the idea of substituting the regular flour with chia flour or even mixing them both together in order to create that sweet recipe; for them, sweets are sweets and there is nothing called healthy desserts.
People should change this misconception because with chia seeds, this is considered possible. There are some recipes done using chia flour, such as:
- Gluten-Free Raspberry Corn Muffins
Mixing something that you love the most with some ingredients that will give you the permission to indulge in it without having any feelings of regret, might be the best thing one could ever do in the kitchen. Combining muffins with some good and healthy ingredients such as chia seed is considered a whole invention by itself.
- 1 cup (4 ounces) of chia flour
- 1 cup (5 ounces) yellow corn meal
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons natural sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk (or any other non-diary milk)
- ½ cup plain soy yogurt or apple sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 ounces raspberries
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 F and place 12 silicone muffin cups on a baking sheet.
- Combine all the dry ingredients that you have in a large mixing bowl, and then whisk together the wet ingredients in another small bowl. Add the wet mixture to the dry one and mix together until they are both well combined then stir the raspberries to the mixture.
- Divide the batter that you have created equally among the cups and if you want, you could sprinkle them with raw sugar. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When you bring it out from the oven, give it some time to cool down before removing the muffins and serving them warm.
This only proves how much the healthy muffin recipe could be created in an easy way without changing the taste of the muffin or making them unbearable.
- Chia Flour Bread
One of the other famous recipes related to chia flour is the chia bread which is another option to use if you want to create something out of your chia seeds. Chia seeds carry different benefits for the body because it is rich in protein, calcium, antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber, and they will still be delivered no matter how the person is going to use them.
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup of melted coconut oil or grass fed butter
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chia
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the wet ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Now use your chia flour (or grind your chia seeds in a coffee grinder to turn them into flour).
- Mix the wet ingredients together in another bowl and add the ground chia seeds to them.
- Combine both the wet and the dry ingredients together and let them sit together for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and bake it for 40 minutes.
- When you get it out, let it cool down for 5 minutes before serving it. You could serve it with butter or almond butter.
Chia Seeds Substitute for Eggs
Being able to substitute flour; chia seeds are also good when they substitute eggs, which is another thing that might surprise those who did not know that they have this ability with chia seeds as well. the first thing coming to the mind of some people; is how could something that is dry like chia seeds be transformed into something that is so wet like eggs? The answer is right here.
Chia seed substitute for egg is simple and needed for those who might have some allergies to eggs or might not like its smell. There are actually a lot of different benefits for chia seeds that make people run for it when it comes to substituting their intake of eggs; they are high in omega-3 fatty acids, help in promoting a healthy digestive tract, are gluten-free and grain-free, and they are good sources for magnesium.
Creating chia seeds egg will require two important players in the game; water and chia seeds. For replacing one egg with chia seeds egg, you should have one tablespoon of chia seeds and three tablespoons of water.
Here is what you will need to do:
- First of all, you have to transform your chia seeds into the flour form (or the powder form) before adding them to water, but you should know exactly the amount you will need because chia seeds are high in omega-3 oils which are prone to spoilage when exposed to heat and oxygen, so the amount that will stay with you should be stored in the fridge.
- Mix together the water and the ground chia in a small bowl and let it sit for about 5 minutes until it starts to form a mixture that is similar to the raw egg yolk.
- Now your chia egg is ready for use in your different recipes.
Chia Egg Recipes
There are different recipes that substitute chia seeds for egg and which could be still loved and enjoyed by all the different family members. One of the famous recipes that are egg-free is the almond pancakes, which depend mainly on chia egg in its recipe.
- 2 tablespoons organic chia seeds
- 6 tablespoons of water
- ¼ cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
- ½ cup unsweetened organic almond milk
- 1 ½ teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract or vanilla flavor
- 1 ½ cups blanched almond flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons arrowroot powder
- ½ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans
- Organic extra virgin coconut oil
- Transform the chia seeds into eggs by placing the ground chia in water for 5 minutes until they reach the consistency of the raw egg. Add the applesauce, almond milk, and vanilla; set them aside.
- Mix the almond flour with the arrowroot, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, and pecans together in another bowl. Form a well in the center of the dry ingredients and then pour the wet ingredients right there and mix them together without overdoing it.
- Heat the coconut oil on medium-low heat and drop 1 ½ tablespoon of the batter in the pan and spread out the batter slightly into the pan. Cook the pancakes for 3 to 4 minutes until the bottom have browned and then turn them over and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
It is important to know some of the healthy creations and substitutions that you could do when you run out of flour or eggs during the process of creating a dessert recipe of dish at your home. Substitutions do not only take place when it is about going out of ingredients, but it is also about gaining important benefits while eating sweet things.