Being a healthy seed, there are actually different uses for chia seeds; they could be transformed into powder and added to flour when creating cakes and breads, they could be used in their whole or ground forms and be added to different dishes and smoothies, and they could be also used in their two forms in order to create desserts. One of the famous desserts related to chia seeds– and maybe one of the best recipes done from it – is the pudding, but it is not the only dessert recipe out there, there are other things done from it as well, such as cupcakes and muffins. Chia seed is a healthy addition that people could use in their recipes to turn something rich in calories into something healthy.
Delicious Chia Seed Recipes for Desserts
Sports people might get attached to chia seeds because it provides them with the energy they might be in need for when it comes to their trainings, and it is loved by all runners out there for the same reason and for giving them the chance to keep up with their marathons for more time than the expected. On the other hand, chia seeds are always suggested by different nutritionists because they fill up the stomach and make the person feel full for a longer period of time.
In addition to those different types of people, chia seeds might be also preferred by moms and housewives out there when they think about creating something delicious for their family members but something that will turn out to be healthy as well. No one might actually think about adding some chia seeds to the cupcake recipe or even add some when they are baking some muffins, but it is actually something possible and something that some people are actually doing.
Adding something new to the recipes that you are already creating does not mean that they will not taste as good any longer, but it means that you have the mind and the creativity to add something healthy to your recipes while keeping them delicious at the same time.
There are actually different chia dessert recipes that you should try, such as:
- Chia Seed Muffins with Lemon
Generally, the chia seeds flour could be used with anything that enters your oven; starting from baking bread and ending with baking cupcakes, muffins, and cakes. The best thing about these seeds is that they could be used in any form (whole, ground, or powder) and still delivers the same benefits to the human body, unlike flaxseeds which should not be used in their ground form because the stomach will not be able to digest them.
All that is needed in order to turn the chia seed into flour is grinding it until it turns into powder, adding it to some flour, and then using it in any recipe out there. The loved recipe for the lemon muffins could still be done by adding some chia seeds to it and it will still carry the same crunch but nutty taste that will just turn the whole thing into a much healthier recipe. The ingredients needed are:
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (should be softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup non-fat Greek vanilla yogurt
In order to mix those ingredients and come out with the outcome of the lemon chia seed muffins recipe, all what you have to do is:
- First, prepare the oven and pre-heat it to 350 degrees and prepare the muffin tin by spraying them with non-stock spray or put some liners.
- Now, in a small mixing bowl, combine together the dry ingredients; the flour, chia seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and leave them aside.
- In an electric mixer, start mixing the butter and sugar together until they become fluffy and light for about two minutes.
- Add the eggs to the mixture and mix them well, one at a time. Mix the lemon zest and the vanilla.
- Using a spatula, mix the flour and the yogurt until the whole thing becomes well mixed and well combined together.
- Now start pouring the muffin mixture into the tins and fill them for about 2/3 then bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the tester comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool down, and if you want to coat them, you have to whisk together the lemon juice and the powdered sugar until smooth and apply it on the top of each muffin. Let it sit for a while before serving.
It is important to keep in mind that any recipe could actually work with adding some chia seeds to it because it is considered tasteless and might not be even noticed within the other flavors.
- Chocolate Chip Chia Seed Cupcakes
Being considered a possible thing to add chia seeds to chocolate in order to create a delicious pudding, it is also possible to add it to the chocolate chip cupcake recipe or mixture and create something delicious out of it as well. Chocolate chips are always loved by people; whether being added to cookies or cupcakes, but that should not prevent you from turning your recipe into a healthy thing that your children will get used to.
Dr. Oz show was one of the places that paid much attention to the importance of chia seeds and it created the chocolate chip chia seed recipe, trying to turn the delicious fatty things more into some healthy recipes. The ingredients needed for this recipe are:
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup dark chopped chocolate chips
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup of water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
The directions needed for creating this recipe are easy, you just have to:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then coat a tiny bit of coconut oil in the tins or add cupcake wrappers.
- Mix the ¼ cup of water with the chia seeds and let it sit for 10 or 20 minutes until it turns into a gel-like.
- Now mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl; coconut palm sugar, coconut flour, chocolate chips, and one tablespoon of chia seeds.
- In another bowl, add the rest of the wet ingredients; the eggs, coconut oil, and the vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet and the dry ingredients together and then pour them into the tins or the cupcake wrappers until ¾ full. Bake for 20 or 25 minutes and then bring them out and let them cool.
Sometimes the last picture you bring out of the ingredients that you have created could be topped with something according to your choice; in this case, you could top the cupcakes with chocolate chips if you prefer.
- Mocha Chocolate Chunk Chia Seed Brownies
The more we get introduced to the recipes that could be done with chia seeds, the more we get attached to these seeds. There is no way that any person out there might have ever imagined these seeds being added to chocolate, and not only that, but being added to different recipes and mixtures that bring out the best puddings, cupcakes, muffins, cakes, and even breads.
Another good recipe to try out there for your next healthy dessert is the mocha chocolate chunk chia seed brownies; it is not just chocolate and it is not just mocha, but a mixture of both added together creating brownies that is actually healthy. In order to create this dessert, you need these ingredients:
- ¾ cup chia seed meal (grinded chia seeds)
- ¾ swerve sweetener or other Erythritol
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 oz. dark chocolate chunks (70 to 90% cocoa)
The needed instructions to follow in order to mix these ingredients together are:
- Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit and prepare the baking pan that you are going to use.
- In a bowl, mix together the chia seed meal, the sweetener, baking soda, and the salt.
- In a large saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and the chocolate together until they become smooth.
- Now add the eggs and whisk together then add the coffee. Stir in the chia seeds and mix together until well combined then add the chocolate chunks to the mixture.
- Spread the batter into the pan and bake for about 15 to 16 minutes for a fudge consistency or for 18 to 20 minutes for a cake consistency.
The brownies are now ready for you to get out from the oven and start serving.
- Chocolate Chia Seed Cookies
In addition to making the desserts healthier by just adding the chia seeds, there are some people who try to add other ingredients and even change some in the original recipe in order to make the whole thing healthy but at the same time, deliver the same delicious taste.
In addition to the cupcakes, muffins, and brownies, the cookies are also accepting the idea of chia seeds being added to them, the chocolate chia seed cookie recipe is just a proof for that and it needs ingredients like:
- 1 chia egg (1 tablespoon of chia seeds and 2 ½ tablespoons of water mixed and left 5 minutes to activate)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup white chocolate wonderful peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- Splash of vanilla coconut milk
The directions which you are supposed to follow are:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, make the chia water and let it sit for some time.
- In a mixer, add the coconut sugar, peanut butter, flaxseeds, baking soda, and the chia egg, and mix them well. If the mixture is dry, add some coconut milk and mix well.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix until all are combined well.
- Now place scoopfuls of batter on the sheets and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Chia Seeds in Bread Recipes
Chia seeds are not only used in dessert and pudding recipes, but it turned out that it make a great ingredient when added to the bread recipes that people create at home as well. There are different tasty breads that could be done out of the chia seed flour, which is almost of mixture of powdered chia seed added to the regular flour.
One of the healthiest breads out there that people should actually focus their attention on is the rye bread, and that is the reason why there is one recipe for bread out there that include rye flour and flakes which we prefer the most, this bread recipe needs some ingredients such as:
- 275g white bread flour
- 175g dark rye flour
- 75g rye flakes
- 9g salt
- 5g yeast
- 50g chia seeds
- 450g water
Now, in order to bring out something from these ingredients, you have to:
- Combine the water and the chia seeds together and stir. The chia seeds are known to absorb water very well, so within 10 minutes this mixture will turn into a gelatinous thing which will keep the bread moist.
- Now add the dry ingredients (white bread flour, dark rye flour, rye flakes, salt, and yeast) together in a large bowl and mix them all with the chia seed gel.
- Knead for about 10 minutes then place the dough back into the bowl and leave it covered until it expands.
- When you come back to the dough, punch it and turn it into a bread loaf.
- Place the loaf onto a baking tray lined with baking paper for the second rise until fully proved.
- Preheat the oven for 220 C then bake for 10 minutes before you decrease the heat to 200 and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Cool the bread and then you could start eating it.
The fact that chia seeds could be added to different types of foods and drinks without changing the taste or turning the whole thing into something inedible attracts people more to the idea of actually trying it with some of their recipes. Chia seeds cake recipes, bread recipes, dessert recipes, or even smoothie recipes, are all different things that could make the calories-filled recipes much healthier.