The more you make your body used to healthy eating, the less it will crave junk food or even all those sweets that it might have been attached to before and that is the most important thing about eating healthy. There are different facts related to healthy eating and a lot of tips that could guide you to start your journey and assist you during it, you should just have the will and be prepared for all the difficulties you might face at the beginning before you start to fall in love with your new lifestyle. Eating healthy is not about forgetting your favorite chocolate but more about knowing when you should eat it; know more through the article.
Healthy eating is one thing to talk about and mention its importance but we should also refer to the whole plan it should be considered part of, which is the healthy lifestyle. Having a healthy lifestyle is a combination of eating the healthy types of food which your body is in need for to receive the proteins and vitamins that it wants in order to survive and fight diseases and illnesses, as well as doing some exercises and giving that body the rest that it might be in need for.
What is Healthy Eating?
Before you start searching for plans in order to follow and learning new recipes to prepare for yourself, you should first understand what healthy eating is, because the first answer for this question that comes to any person’s mind is that healthy eating is all about the things that will not add calories to their bodies and will keep them with their sizes and shapes. This is not the definition of healthy eating because it is more than just that, it is more about providing the body with all its needs and giving it the chance to live in a healthy form.
Healthy eating is for everyone, not just for those who might be suffering from a specific disease or those who are looking forward to lose weight, because it is not going to serve the body only, but it will manage to work on the mood, the energy that you are going to live with during the rest of the day, as well as the immune system which will help you in defending the diseases and viruses that might be trying to reach your body. In order to eat healthy, it means that you should follow a diet plan that include different types of food which will manage to deliver protein, carbohydrates, fat, water, vitamins, and minerals to your body, because those are the things your body needs in order to survive.
It is not just about eating healthy, but it is also about doing some physical exercise in order to help your body make use of that food it is receiving; it is more about following the whole plan instead of just trying to apply one step of it only. There should be always a plan that you are going to follow, one which will include the types of food you are going to eat, the exercises you are going to do, and the small details that come in between related to sleeping and giving your body the chance to rest; that is all part of being healthy in general.
Facts about Eating Healthy
Now you understand what healthy eating is all about and should get the chance to know more facts related to this field; how your body might be affected with the things you are eating and how healthy eating might transform your health to the better. It is important to know that healthy eating will not be a thing to realize its effects after one or two days, but it needs patience and a little bit of time to start realizing how your body is actually responding. Here are some of the facts which you should be well aware of:
- We have to mention at the beginning that the lack of physical exercise and activity as well as getting used to the unhealthy types of food is considered one of the main global risks for health and that is why people should try to get themselves moving a little bit more and start bit by bit to eat healthy things and cut short when it comes to the junk food types, even if they will be still eating them every once in a while.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), healthy practices start early in life, it is not just about eating healthy when you are a grown up, but you should get your kids used to choosing the healthy before they head for the sweets. WHO also stated that breastfeeding for example is important because it promotes the healthy eating lifestyle and it fosters healthy growth and improves cognitive development, that of course comes in addition to the other long-term benefits that might be related to it all, such as reducing the risk of being an over-weight child or obese and developing NCDs (non-communicable diseases) later in life.
- With healthy eating, you are not just going to maintain your weight, but you will also give your body the chance to reduce the risk of different non-communicable diseases, such as diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Not just that, but healthy eating is also beneficial because it protects against malnutrition with all its different forms.
- The intake of energy (calories), sugars, as well as salt should be always watched and measured. The energy intake should be always balanced with the energy expenditure and limiting the intake of sugars to less than 10 percent of the total energy intake is an important part of the diet plan that you should be following; reducing that percent to less than 5 is sometimes suggested for the additional health benefits. The percentage of salt allowed for the adult person per day should be less than 5 grams of the total energy intake in order to prevent hypertension and reduce the risk of stroke.
There are different things that you should keep in your mind about the healthy diet plan that you should be following in order to be considered a person who eats healthy food, but first keep in mind those facts which we have brought in order to know why all this hassle should be part of your life in the first place.
Different Healthy Eating Tips
There are different things related to being healthy which you should always keep in your mind and the most important one of them all is knowing that following a healthy eating plan should never be a difficult thing that you are doing or one thing which you might not be able to do, but instead it should always be easy because with the passage of time it will turn into a lifestyle and not just a couple of recipes which you will be forced to prepare and cook.
There are different tips to know about if you want to start your healthy eating plan and these different tips include:
- Variety and Balance are Important
There are a lot of things to choose from when it comes to the healthy eating types of food which you are allowed to eat and which will provide your body with its needs, but you should always know that the things you are choosing should be balanced and there should be always moderation within those choices. Variety is needed because it will make it more interesting for you and at the same time it will provide your body with more of its needs. A balanced diet is the one that could manage to provide the body with carbohydrates, proteins, fats, as well as other different nutrients. Finally, moderation is being able to understand your body and know when it is full and when it is hungry in order to avoid eating too much or less than the necessary; all these are considered important in order to give your body the chance to receive what it needs without focusing on one nutrient only and forgetting about the rest.
- Choose Lean Protein
There is a difference between the lean protein and the fatty protein sources and you should always go for the lean protein types. The lean protein types include chicken, lean ground beef, fish and nuts, and according to live strong, they are needed because they fulfill the body’s protein requirements. On the other hand, the fatty protein sources like the regular ground beef or the hot dog, are not always advised with because they might contribute to high LDL or bad cholesterol levels, not just that, but the high levels of fat in the diet could actually provide the body with more calories than what it really is in need for.
Healthy Foods to Eat
There are different healthy eating recipes which you could create and try but in order to use your creativity and start bringing those dishes out to life, you should first know about the different healthy food types which you are allowed to eat and which will provide your body with its needs. From these different things that your day should include and your dish should have, you could choose from:
- Fruits, vegetables, legumes, nuts, and whole grains like wheat, oats, and brown rice.
- Using natural sugars like honey, syrups, fruit juices, and fruit juice concentrates.
- Using iodized salt.
- Unsaturated fats like fish, avocado, nuts, sunflower, canola and olive oil, which are more preferred than the saturated fats like the ones found in meat, butter, cheese, as well as palm and coconut oil.
These things are of course written for adults and they will differ when it comes to creating a healthy eating lifestyle for infants and young children, who should be breastfed and when food is allowed to enter their lives, it should be always free from sugars and salt.
Taking care of your life starts with choosing the right types of food to eat; stay away from junk food and sweets and give your body the chance to receive the nutrients and minerals it needs from the healthy options found out there. Healthy eating is important for everyone and not just those who are dealing with health problems, so never find an excuse, choose a plan that you will find easy and which will make you ready and excited, and don’t ban yourself from any kind of food you like but just know the amount you are allowed to eat and the times you could eat it during the week.